Here are a few shots of my painting of daikon radish in process, with the finished piece at the end.
First phase: a warm under painting, then a dark made with ultramarine blue and burnt sienna, and a light made with white and a bit of colour.
Second phase: added a bit more dark using a purple.
Phase three: Added a few layers here. Cool yellow, blue-green, pink, and red. Following the form with gestures, almost blind painting. Still, refining the form with each layer.
Phase four: Starting to add the neutrals based on the pink, to tone down that colour’s intensity. It’s still really quite pink! And I added a bit of a neutral brown in the background. Also, to start to redefine some shapes and enhance the darks, I added a deep red.
Here’s the finished piece. I added more neutral lights into the radishes and the foreground fennels on the right, and a cooler grey to push back the fennels lying underneath. I also added these colours throughout the painting in smaller areas that related in their lightness. I also added a dark blue to enhance the darks along with the red that added earlier.